Sunday 8 July 2007

Bangkok Bites!

36 hours in Bangkok and I amazingly have just been bitten for the first time, and while the mosquitoes are feasting on me I begin my search for a feast in Banglamphu.

This morning while trying to find the river boat pier we got lost and stumbled into the local food market, and it truly was alive. Adam and I got caught up at the fish stand, splashed by eels attempting to escape from vats of water and slipping on fish guts. There was a vast selection of fish but the only one I recognised was the frisky catfish.

We passed stall after stall with various cuts of chicken, pork, duck and their bits. Next came the frogs, displayed in all sorts of positions - a few wore their hearts on the outside. Men squatting over the floor with old-fashioned juice presses, freshly squeezing baskets of limes. Women pounding garlic and chillies, making pastes for their special sauces. The final stalls displayed an abundance of chillies, wild leaves and herbs.

It was a small, exciting market and a great introduction to local food. Now all we have to find is someone to cook us some food.

No comments: