Tuesday 31 July 2007

Morning Glory

No its not what you think, mind out of the gutters please.

It is morning and I have a hangover and instead of my usual bowl of tropical fruit and yoghurt, I decide I need something fried. I have the Morning Glory Hash brown at Dolphin - Morning Glory (Paak Boong) is chopped and added to a courgette/zucchini and potato hash brown with bacon bits. It comes out plate-size, crispy on the outside and soft and steaming in the middle. They say it contains plenty of iron. 'Makes me strong,' says Mi, our friendly barman from Krabi.

It doesn't have a strong flavour, but it is noticeable; an herbaceous, spinach flavour. It is also known as water spinach, water morning glory or water cabbage and is used as a vegetable regularly throughout SE Asian cooking. It looks like long stems of tall grass and is a dark green colour. It is great in vegetable stir-fries and broths.

No comments: